Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Desk Chair Makeover

Happy Tuesday fellow bloggers! Sorry for the absence, last week was a crazy week for me. I had two birthdays, a work dinner, a wedding, a bbq and month end at my job. Unfortunately, blogging had to take a backseat because life got in the way! However I am happy to be back today and showing a project I completed over the weekend.

It all started when I found this chair on Craigslist for a whopping $5 bucks. 


It looks much better in this photo than it did in real life. The finish was scraped and scuffed, and the blue and white striped seat cover was faded and stained. See?


I knew it was nothing a little bit of spray paint and new fabric wouldn't fix. I started by taking the seat off with a drill and hauling the chair frame outside for some sanding and cleaning. Here it is all ready for it's makeover! 

Next, I coated it with two coats of white spray paint to match the desk already in my office. Here it is after (almost*) one coat. 

*Yes, I ran out of paint mid-project. I had two half cans laying in my garage and unfortunately that wasn't enough. That's ok, when Sunday rolled around I was able to finish her up! 

In the mean time while I was waiting for the paint to dry, I turned my attention to the seat. I already had the fabric on hand as I ordered it to match the bigger side chair already in my office to make coordinating pillows and curtain trim out of. The seat was already plenty cushioned, so I just flipped it over, cut the fabric to size and stapled it to the seat. I'm not the best upholster-er in the world, but I can't handle minor seat cover changes. 


 
The next day, I finished spraying my chair and reattached the seat. Here's the finished product!*

 *After I got it in, I realized that left leg needed a big more attention. See it? That's what happens when you spray paint in very bright sunlight :p

Now this chair coordinated well with my side chair. The fabric is an exact match, just in a smaller scale.


The pillow is from Home Goods. 
 
See those too-short curtains in the pic above? Those are my next victim :)

There you have it! It's amazing what $10 bucks and a couple of hours can do for a piece. Did you work on any fun projects this weekend?

I'm participating in the Terrific Under $10, Tuesday's Treasures, and Tutorial's and Tips Link Parties today! Go check out some of the fabulous projects!








My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia



2 comments:

  1. Super cool makeover! I love the fabric you chose to replace that icky stained before fabric. :) Thanks so much for linking up to Terrific Under Ten this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I featured your fun chair over on my blog today! Come grab a featured button! :)

    ReplyDelete